You Are Here: Pointing West Midlands > News > BHA UPDATE REGARDING EQUINE INFLUENZA
Tuesday, 20th Aug 2019

BHA UPDATE REGARDING EQUINE INFLUENZA

 
     
 
 

BHA UPDATE REGARDING EQUINE INFLUENZA – NO RESUMPTION OF RACING UNTIL WEDNESDAY 13 FEBRUARY AT THE EARLIEST 

Latest information on equine influenza as below, including the decision that we will not resume racing until Wednesday 13 February at the earliest.

We particular draw your attention to the following points:

A decision will be made on Monday 11 February as to whether racing can resume on Wednesday 13 February.​

Declarations could then take place on Tuesday in time for racing on Wednesday. We will allow 24-hour declarations for all fixtures on Wednesday, should racing be able to resume on this day. 48-hour declarations for Thursday would also be made on Tuesday, in the usual way.

A plan will be constructed for the rescheduling of key races lost in this period.

The BHA Veterinary team is continuing the process of calling trainers with affected and potentially affected horses.

The press notice is as below. We would like to express our sincere thanks to trainers for the information and support they have provided. This has helped us to make an informed decision earlier than we expected.

PRESS RELEASE

BHA UPDATE REGARDING EQUINE INFLUENZA – RACING WILL NOT RESUME UNTIL WEDNESDAY 13 FEBRUARY AT THE EARLIEST

• Decision to be made on Monday 11 February as to whether racing can resume on Wednesday 13 February
• Decision to cancel racing is based on further scientific advice and discussions with participants

The British Horseracing Authority (BHA) has this afternoon taken the decision that racing will not resume in Britain until Wednesday 13 February at the earliest, including fixtures programmed by the Point-to-Point Authority.

The BHA’s veterinary team has today been in contact with more than 50 trainers and veterinarians to allow it to make an informed assessment of the risk of equine influenza spreading. Whilst no further positive tests have been received, at least three more days are required before it will be possible to make a decision about whether it is safe to resume racing.  

The disease can take up to three days before symptoms are visible, meaning it will take until Sunday at the earliest before the BHA can gather all the information required. This approach will allow samples to be collected and assessed by the Animal Health Trust in order that a fully informed decision can be made on Monday. This may then allow declarations to take place on Tuesday in time for racing on Wednesday, with 24 hour declarations for all fixtures on this day, should racing be able to resume. Declarations for Thursday would revert to the usual procedures.   

  We are grateful to trainers and veterinarians for the rapid flow of information and feedback  we have received today. Because of this, we have been able to make an informed decision earlier than we expected and before we have any test results back from horses from the affected yards that travelled to the three meetings.

Trainers support a precautionary approach and we thank them for the collaborative manner in which they have worked with us to address this unfolding situation.

This precautionary approach is intended to ensure we put the health of the horse population and control of the virus first, and avoid any unnecessary risk that might come from returning to racing too quickly. We appreciate the impact that this may have on the sport commercially, but disease control in order to mitigate the risk of further disruption to the sport – and safeguard the health and welfare of our horses – must be a priority.

A plan will be constructed for the rescheduling of key races – and those which may provide important opportunities for horses to run – which are lost during this period.

Separately, as a precaution, all of the trainers who had runners at the fixtures at Wolverhampton, Ludlow and Ayr this week have been informed that their yards have been placed under a temporary hold which means that they will not be able to make any declarations until their horses have been tested and cleared.

Further information and guidance

It remains the case that anyone visiting a racing yard should exercise appropriate caution and check with a trainer before visiting, and trainers are advised to limit where possible the movement of people to and from their yard, and put in place appropriate biosecurity measures. There is a Code of Practice for dealing with infectious diseases on the website of the National Trainers Federation.

All British thoroughbreds are vaccinated against equine influenza however cases have been seen in vaccinated horses. The disease may be serious in unvaccinated horses, although symptoms in vaccinated horses are usually mild and transient. Symptoms may include a raised temperature, a cough and nasal discharge. It is highly contagious. Humans are not at risk from the virus, though can spread the virus on clothes and equipment.

This is a wider horse health issue which is not confined to horseracing. Unlike thoroughbreds in Britain, it is not compulsory for the wider horse population to be vaccinated against equine flu. Whilst the BHA is not specifically responsible for non-racehorses, the general advice to owners would be to contact your vet if you have concerns.

The Animal Health Trust are the equine monitoring agent for disease surveillance in the UK and information is posted on their website and twitter feeds.

This is a wider horse health issue which is not confined to horseracing. Unlike thoroughbreds in Britain, it is not compulsory for the wider horse population to be vaccinated against equine flu. Whilst the BHA is not specifically responsible for non-racehorses, the general advice to owners would be to contact your vet if you have concerns.

The Animal Health Trust are the equine monitoring agent for disease surveillance in the UK and information is posted on their website and twitter feeds.

 

Latest News

167 MEETINGS SCHEDULED FOR NEXT SEASON

  Saturday making a comeback in nationwide fixtures’ list More Saturday meetings – but [..]

PROPOSED RACE SCHEDULES FOR EARLY SEASON FIXTURES

The 2019/20 Point-to-Point season pre-Christmas and New Year fixture races have been released as [..]


Our Sponsors